Friday, October 7, 2011

Tutorial: Let's Wing It

Though today's didn't turn out the best that it ever has, winged eyeliner has become one of my newer, more favorite ways to wear my makeup. Though it looks simple, it took me a while to get the hang of, because the shape can be surprisingly difficult to master. I attempted a tutorial for it, in the hopes that maybe the few tips I've learned can help someone else. Enjoy :)


You'll want to start off with some gel or liquid eyeliner (mine is Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner in Blackest Black), and a brush to apply the liner; I also suggest a black eyeshadow (not pictured here) and a thin brush to apply that with.


Here's a close up of the brush I used to line my eyes- Mac 210. It's a very small brush that allows for a lot of control. An angled brush would also work well.


To begin, I dipped a brush in some black eyeshadow (Carbon from Mac) using a Loew-Cornell #8 brush (meant for painting, great for makeup, and pretty cheap)...


...In order to sketch myself a basic line that would determine the shape and length of my wing. This is one of the most important steps for me. I make a stright line up from the edge of my lower lashline, like in the next picture. Here I had already put a nude base over my eye (Eden Primer Potion from Urban Decay), and applied mascara to my upper lashes. I do that anyway before applying any of my makeup, but I actually think it makes it easier with winged eyeliner- the lashes are much harder and easier to line over, if that makes sense.


Doing the black line then makes it much simpler to fill in the rest of the liner.


I then just connect the liner to my lashline by going straight down from the top of the black line. Make sure to fill in the gaps well; I've missed the spot right in my outer lashline a few times, and it's frustrating. Mine looks a little bumpy, I guess I was just having an off day? I also go over my eyeliner with the same black
eyeshadow used before. I like to do mine fairly thick, and have the wing extend sort of far, but that's just what I think looks best with my eye shape. Obviously, adjust accordingly with width and length for your personal preference.


I couldn't get a good picture of my eyes open for the life of me, so I cropped a candid one taken later that night.

This look is easy once you get the hang of it, and quick. It's dramatic without being over the top, and it lasts all day.
Hope everyone is having a great weekend,

Rhiana

No comments:

Post a Comment